Author Topic: What shall we expect?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline worlder

• Bishop
What shall we expect?
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:13:40 am »
As much fun as it is to laugh at the fits of rage thrown by those that rooted for Romney to win, I think we should snap back to reality and try to predict what the next 4 years have in store.

Now in terms of taxes Obama has promised during this campaign to increase taxes on the rich and close loopholes in a way their effective tax rate would no longer be lower than those making less money than them. I know that usually higher taxes lead to shifting money to foreign banks, but that might not happen due to the loophole (I need the specifics on this one) closings. Also some of these loopholes do have upsides to them, such as charity deductibles, closing them might have some ramifications for those non-wealth that also benefit from these loopholes.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Re: What shall we expect?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:00:31 am »
I'm expecting the usual deadlocks in government that hardly gets things done, but that's too cynical of me.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:01:48 am »
People have been saying that for ages, so I I've just started to drown that out.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:52:40 am »
those that rooted for Romney to win
I know this isn't the topic of the thread, but nobody was really rooting for Romney to win, they were rooting for Obama to lose...
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:36:09 am »
I've read that if the R's lock of bills again, we could be headed for another recession.  Of course it wouldn't affect them and they'd just blame Obama anyway.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:00:41 am »
If Obama can get beyond the stupid debt cliff idiocy without trashing the economy, four years is long enough for a natural recovery. In the long run, the economy should look after itself. Which is itself a dreadful condemnation of American public policy, isn't it?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:48 pm »
Lt. Fred wins many internets  8)

The economy is so huge and interconnected around the world that it behaves very much like a mathematical model of a large ecosystem, or even like the natural processes within our own bodies.

Homeostasis - or balance - is the "goal", or natural tendency, of megacomplex systems. Just takes a while for sudden shifts to settle out. Those sudden shifts in economic systems very much resemble the effects of storms or forest fires in their respective megacomplex systems. There is always recovery, and the opportunity for growth and change, after a disaster.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:45:24 pm »
The same gridlock as before. Republicans block everything, Democrats show no spine, the public grows to hate them both even more.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:54:21 pm »
Oi so much cynicism

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:00 pm »
The same gridlock as before. Republicans block everything, Democrats show no spine, the public grows to hate them both even more.

I keep hearing that, but considering there have been a number of things that have gone through considering everything, well. I don't see this gridlock everyone talks about.

Just is a self-assuring prophecy to insure you can remain apathatic and lazy.

"Not to care is unforgivable."
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33:02 pm »
Obama's best play by a mile is to do immigration reform early next Congress. It'll probably happen.

The Republicans got their asses handed to them this time because they lost minority voters by huge margins. The GOP establishment knows that the Hispanic electorate is growing and that they need to relax their position on immigration in order to win elections in the future. However, the teabagger base of the party will flip their shit if that ever happens. The Republican party will tear itself apart over this issue and it's certainly clear that the GOP civil war will be in full bloom the minute that bill hits Congress.

The DREAM executive order is due to expire in 2014, I believe, which will conveniently coincide with the midterms.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:39:41 pm »
I expect (or at least hope) that Obama will be more assertive this time around since he doesn't have to worry about reelection. Granted, if the House decides to be a bunch of immature assfucks and filibuster everything, he's limited, but he still has plenty of room to get at least some shit done.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »
I expect (or at least hope) that Obama will be more assertive this time around since he doesn't have to worry about reelection. Granted, if the House decides to be a bunch of immature assfucks and filibuster everything, he's limited, but he still has plenty of room to get at least some shit done.

Harry Reid has said he will definitely be limiting the power of the filibuster this time around. Not eliminating it entirely, mind you, because he knows they might need it some day, But he will make it significantly harder for the GOP to hold up congress as easily as they did last time.

Due to the tea party wave coming in right before redistricting in 2010, we probably won't see a significant Dem majority in the house for at least another 10 years because of gerrymandered districts.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59:47 pm »
Fiscal Cliff

The fallback mechanism to reduce federal debt. High taxes and low services.

Results will be catastrophic should it actually be triggered.

Let's hope the President and Congress have a very short post-election honeymoon and start figuring this shit out.