Author Topic: Big Dog Question  (Read 6953 times)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Big Dog Question
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 02:17:44 pm »
DA's are big teddy bears for sure, but be warned--because they're white, deafness is common in the breed.

I'm curious as to why white fur and deafness are linked. And I also have heard that white cats tend to go deaf as well. Are some genes for hair color and hearing located on the same chromosomes in all carnivorans?

*something about johnny winter*
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:32:44 am »
Guizonde, the best explanation I can give for harder personality would be this. SOMEONE is going to be in charge, there's a hierarchy in the pack. A dog with a softer temperament, say a golden retriever, has no problem ceding the alpha position. So the harder the temperament, the harder the very young kids (the 3 year old and younger) may have to work to establish their position in the pack.

All of this is based on general breed characteristics. I know each dog will be different. And it's based on more factors than I really feel like going into right now. 

I took a look at the Wolfdog. Man that looks awesome! I'll have to check the laws here (bred from Carpathian wolves could be a problem). Plus they're hard to find and are wicked expensive.
My neighbor went a different route. They got a chihuahua. More an alarm, an early warning dog that let's him know something is out there. That got me thinking. A bloodhound would wake me up if something malicious was afoot. Plus they're big enough to get between Mrs. Rookie and the potential bad guy without scaring kids' friends' moms.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 03:14:03 pm »
Bloodhounds are sweet and goofy, but they rate very low on the breed intelligence and trainability scales that I've seen. There are other sizeable hound breeds that might suit a bit better, such as the Bluetick Hound; name refers to a blue-gray base coat color with little black "tick" speckles. They're a lot higher on the intelligence and trainability scales.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:59:12 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:21 pm »
I'd suggest either an American Pit Bull Terrier or a German Shepherd. Both are very intelligent and protective of their owners. And I also know that Pit Bulls are very good with kids and earned the nickname "nanny dog."
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 05:16:53 pm »
Mrs. Rookie feels the way about pits (American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire terrier) the way I feel about chiweenes. So that won't happen. My only concern about the shepherds is their insanely high energy levels. If he and my little Brittany dog can burn that enough running in the yard, I'd do that in a heartbeat. But I'm not sure that'll suffice (that and a weekly 10-12 mile walk in the woods).
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 07:41:38 pm »
oh, silly me. forgetting that a big dog would forget how physically big it gets... i completely forgot they could think about that too, instead of having their defense instinct kicking in. consider me educated  :)

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 01:17:21 am »
Rookie, it's worth looking for a mutt at a local shelter/rescue (unless your heart is set on having a purebred). You might have to shop around to find a dog that fits your criteria, but reputable rescues are able to tell you all about the dog's personality and energy levels and can weigh in on how good they are with kids and other dogs.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 01:24:22 am »
Bloodhounds are sweet and goofy, but they rate very low on the breed intelligence and trainability scales that I've seen. There are other sizeable hound breeds that might suit a bit better, such as the Blue Tick Hound; name refers to a blue-gray base coat color with little black "tick" speckles. They're a lot higher on the intelligence and trainability scales.

Yeah, we once had a turnip dog that was part Bluetick, part Australian Shepard (part who the fuck knows). Found him under the porch after a heavy rainstorm, covered in mud. Best damned dog we ever had. I remember when we first got him, he would always keep himself between whoever was walking to the mailbox and the road, so as to protect them from cars and such. He was a bit of a manslut, though, as he had fathered pups on just about every female within about 5-7 miles that wasn't spayed. We had him for around eleven or twelve years (I was away in foster care by the time he died).
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 09:54:01 am »
Rookie, it's worth looking for a mutt at a local shelter/rescue (unless your heart is set on having a purebred). You might have to shop around to find a dog that fits your criteria, but reputable rescues are able to tell you all about the dog's personality and energy levels and can weigh in on how good they are with kids and other dogs.

Aye, that's what I'd recommend, too.  Besides which, mutts are a LOT less likely to have developmental problems and other genetically-carried issues.  Hybrid vitality and all that.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 10:49:20 am »
I like mutts. My very first dog was a mutt and if that were an option I'd do that in a heartbeat. I've been up to the local county animal shelters. The ones closest to me have nothing but adult pit mixes.she won't have a pit and I am a little uncomfortable bringing an adult dog to live with an unusually large family. It would probably be fine, but the cost of that gamble is to great to take the chance in my mind. As great as a good pit is, a bad pit is just as bad. A few of the other local shelters won't adopt because we're out of county. Others won't let me adopt because the small children. And don't get me started on rescues. We are looking on Craigslist for oops litters. You know, the bitch is the show dog/family pet and the sire is a sneaky neighbor's dog. Fingers crossed on that one.

Hybrid vigor, if I can touch on that for just a second. Healthy dogs have healthy pups. Sick dogs (displaysia, cherry eye, and other genetic issues) have sick pups. So yes, all things being equal I'll agree with the theory. But a backyard breeder dog bred to a puppy mill dog, I'm not sold on the idea that it'll be a healthier dog than one from a responsible breeder. Add far as the ethics of any of this, it's s wonderful conversation to have but perhaps in a different thread.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 04:11:16 am »

just came across this. too big?

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 11:54:57 am »
I'm not zoned for livestock.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 02:24:49 pm »
Canine Mega fauna. Jeeze!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »
Oh, hi, mouse.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 04:59:44 pm »
what about st. bernards or sheepdogs? those shouldn't be worrisome for your kids and are loyal (and scary) to boot.

... i can't believe i'm trying to help someone get something i'm really scared of... whatever, it's to help someone else.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯